South Dakota Voting Quick Facts
Who Can Register to vote in South Dakota
To register to vote in South Dakota, you must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Reside in South Dakota
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment,
served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
How Do I Register To Vote in South Dakota
Print the Voter Registration Form, fill-out the form, sign it and then submit it to your County Auditor.
Click here to download the Mail-In Voter Registration Form
You may also register to vote at the following locations
Click here to Register Online
Voting At The Polls On Election Day
WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE FORM OF IDENTIFICATION FOR VOTING
All voters who appear at a polling place must show proof of identification. Approved forms of photo identification include:
- Yes. The acceptable forms of photo ID are:
- A South Dakota driver's license or non-driver ID card;
- A passport or other picture ID issued by the United States government;
- U.S. Armed Forces ID
- A current student photo ID issued by a South Dakota high school or postsecondary education institution.
- If you do not have an acceptable form of photo ID, you may complete an affidavit in lieu of the personal identification.Â You will provide your name and address and sign the affidavit under penalty of perjury.
- Tribal photo ID
Who Can Vote in Primary Elections in South Dakota
Both Democrats and Republicans hold Semi-closed Primaries
The South Dakota Republican Primary is closed to only registered Republicans.
The South Dakota Democratic Primary is open to registered Democrats and Independents, but not Republicans.
Parties may choose to allow for semi-closed elections. Democrats have opened up their primaries to allow unaffiliated voters to vote.
Click here for additional information
Who Can Vote Absentee in South Dakota
Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot.
- If you are unable to attend your polling place in person on Election Day, you may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot.
To vote by absentee ballot, a voter must request an absentee ballot application from your County Election Official.
The County Election Official will send a paper absentee ballot to the voter. The voter then completes the ballot and returns
it to the County Election Official.
- In South Dakota, the County Election Official must receive your application for absentee ballot no later than 5 p.m.
on Election Day. Make sure you are registered before you apply to vote by absentee ballot.
- In the event of confinement because of sickness or disability, a qualified voter may apply in writing and obtain an absentee
ballot by authorized messenger. An authorized messenger delivers the ballot from the County Election Official to the qualified voter
and then delivers the marked ballot to the County Election Official. Any application for a ballot by authorized messenger must be
received by the person in charge of the election before 3:00 p.m. the day of the election.
What If My Address Has Changed
Wanting to Change Address
- If you have had an address change, you must re-register to vote by completing a new
voter registration form. Make sure to fill out the âPrevious Voter Registration Information Requiredâ
section with your old address.
Students From Other States
- Students who are from other states may choose to register to vote in South Dakota,
or may vote absentee with their home state. Please visit your state's Secretary of State webpage
to find any information on elections and voting.
Have A Question?
One of MyTime2Vote's top priorities is providing our citizens access to all of the latest State and Federal election information.
We're currently updating the following pages
- State Ballots for this year election cycle
- State Voting Guide
- Elections Calendar
- States Summary
We are working day and night to give you up-to-date information, but we need your help!
For website bug reports, data issues/rss feeds submission, feedback,
or general questions about Mytimetovote.com, please send an email to email@example.com